Build Tour 2015
3 June, Passenger Terminal, Piet Heinkade 27 Amsterdam
New way to login! Face recognition.
Hosted Web Apps:
- Acces to all APIs
- New file format, extension .appx
- Hosted app!
Apps via git deployed to a node.js server and directly playable.
Mentioned: Arduino virtual shields, Netduino 3 - NETMTF, FEZ Spider, Gadgeteer on Windows 10 IoT Core
“BlinkBlank” demo vanuit Visual Studio on a Raspberry Pi 2.
19 datacenters wereldwijd
25% Linux op Azure
Azure App Services
Back-end services for mobile apps:
- Web apps
- Mobile apps
- Logic apps
- Microsoft SQL Connector
- Salesforce Connector
- Slack Connector
- Trello Connector
- et cetera …
- API apps
- Enterprise connectivity
- SaaS integration
Visual Studio Family
Visual Studio Family:
- Visual Studio Code,
- Code optimised editor
- Visual Studio 2015,
- Most complete developer IDE
- Visual Studio Online,
- Agile planning + collaboration tools
- Source Control repositories
- Bug and work item tracking
- Continuous integration builds
- Load testing
- Application performance monitoring
- Available on-premises with TFS
- Crash analysis
- Free for up to 5 users
Azure data management services
Azure data management services:
- SQL DB (Microsoft Service)
- DocumentDB (Microsoft Service)
- Redis (Microsoft Service)
New SQL DB features:
- Elastic Database Pool
Data + analytic = intelligent apps
SQL Data Warehouse
- Easy to aggregate + store petabytes of data
- Interactively query and visualise data
- Operationalize machine learning
- Pause Compute when not needed
Azure Data Lake Service (new)
- Store and manage infinite data
- Keep data in its original form
- High through-put, low latency analytic jobs
- Enterprise-grade security + access control
Face verification sample
Very powerful graphical interface
- Delve (to see what your colleagues are doing, i.o.w. “spy on your colleagues”)
XAML and Universal Apps
by Pete Brown
XAML is used everywhere in Windows 10
Universal Windows app Performance:
- Smaller 25-45%
- Faster 15-25%
- New XAML language service (Roslyn based)
- Design Modes
- Visual Tree Inspector
- Profiling Tools
No more “hidden” features or “internal” APIs
by Jeff Burtoft
Supporting the Legacy Web through “Trident” ("!DOCTYPE x-ua-compatible”)
- user agent adapted to iOS
- touch added
- a lot of adaptations to get a mobile version of the site working
Support for Xbox controller in the browser!
Squiggly site: foreign object within SVG object. Enables filtering of content.
Too much different User-Agent Strings: Feature detection instead of user agent detection
Packaged maps and tools investments
- Build apps for iOS, Android /& Windows
- Nearly 100% shared code
- Debug on any device or emulator
- Support for offline
Apache Cordova is a good solution!
EdgeHTML.dll vs Chakra
WebView Control is “optimized” for Cordova
New: AddWebAllowedObject API Enables smooth interaction between the application and the WebViewControl
Hosted Web Apps (new)
- Publish your website to the Windows Store
- Can also mix in native code, accessible from the site
Hosted Web App demo: App is “stripped” to run as Hosted Web App App has WindowsRunTime access. Prevents access to the internet from within the “browser” app.
HTML games: Coolgames.com, Dutch company is very successful in building in HTML5 games:
Manifest for Web Apps based on the W3C specifications: ManifoldJS
ManifoldJS, framework based on W3C standard. Requires node.js to run local or can be accessed via the website:
- manifoldJS helps you reach more users than ever by packaging your web experience as native apps across Android, iOS, and Windows.
- manifoldJS takes the meta-data about your site and generates native “hosted” apps. If the platform doesn’t support hosted apps, we use Cordova to polyfill it.
- manifoldJS is based on the latest W3C Manifest working draft. We will update manifoldJS as the spec evolves so that you can have confidence that your apps will continue to work.
Vorlon.JS for testing
- Remotely connect up to 50 devices simultaneously. Run your code on each or all of them with a single click.
Most samples running from node.js
- Microsoft Edge: dev.modern.ie
- Web App Platform: dev.windows.com
- Cordova: aka.ms/cordova
- Open source tools:
Five design tips for Developers
- Make the best use of controls available to you
- Design in Effective Pixels Design.windows.com
- Start small
- Use your own colors!
- Think about design before you start coding
Babylonjs.com WebGL, simple, powerful
Most samples shown, can be found on this site.
Q: Currently Microsoft promotes scale-up. Clear trend towards scale-out. A: Move away from VMs, move away from the plumbing.
Q: Why is there no GUI for the Raspberry Pi? And why does it seem that you can only run one application? A: By design you can connect via Remote PowerShell or via the configuration website. Conclusion; IoTCore is treated like the Nano Server.